Also known as “Vo Binh Dinh” is a Southeast Asian martial art form known as Vo Thuat Binh Dinh. This “regional” martial art form is said to have originated from a province known as “Tinh Binh Dinh” located in Vietnam. Apparently, all combat forms practiced in the Tinh Binh Dinh Province is said to be Vo Binh Dinh/Vo Thuat Binh Dinh. Furthermore, there are about 11 huyen (i.e. counties or districts) within this province that practice this style of martial art. In addition, a uniform generally comprising of a black robe is worn while practicing this combat style.
a. History/origin of the Vo Thuat Binh Dinh:
According to the cultural history of Vietnam, any form of martial art that is practiced within villages located in a province known as “Tinh Binh Dinh” is termed as Vo Thuat Binh Dinh. It is also commonly referred to as Vo Binh Dinh. Apparently, a village like An Thai is popular for martial arts using bare hands, while the Thuan Truyen Quyen Village is known for its use of a combat form that basically uses a staff as weapon. In addition, a comprehensive list comprising of 18 weapons are made use in this form of combat.
b. Weapon used in the Vo Thuat Binh Dinh:
There are 18 basic weapons used in this combat form and they include:
- Con: Is a long staff.
- Kiem: Is a straight sword.
- Dao: It includes a broad sword, a dual miniature broad sword, and miniature broad sword on a staff.
- Thuong: Essentially is a pointed spear.
- Giao: Basically is a wide tip spear.
- Kich: Basically is crescent blade staff.
- Gian: Basically is a scepter.
- Phu, Song Phu and Single Axe: Comprises of dual axes and hammers.
- Song Chuy: Is a dual melon hammer.
- Bura Cao: Is essentially a rake.
- Lang Khien: Is basically a shield with a broad sword.
- Cung Ten: Is basically a bow and arrow.
- Xich: Is a chain whip.
- Xa mau: Is a serpent cane.
- Dinh Ba: Is a Tiger fork/pitch fork.
- Mo Gay: Is a fisherman’s spear/two point spear.
- Song Xi, Song To, and Song Dao: Are dual blades.
- Song Cau: Is a dual hook sword.
c. Technique involved in the Vo Thuat Binh Dinh and training availability:
In terms of technique, some villages in the province of Tinh Binh Dinh use a version of Vo Thuat Binh Dinh that make use of empty hand techniques, while a few others make use of a wide range of weapons. As for training centers/schools, there are a few available mainly within the Binh Dinh province in Vietnam for those interested in learning this “regional” martial art form.
image credit ')}